1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken pale, not laying yet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vick01, Jan 18, 2015.

1. vick01

vick01 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    Hi Guys,

I have a red sex link chicken who is around 30 weeks old. She is underweight, has a pale under developed comb and wattles, and pale legs. She has always looked paler than her sister, who is the same age and breed.

She eats pretty normally, although is sometimes picked on by the other chickens at feeding time, but this is getting better. She's usually the bottom of the ladder. I think she might have diarrhoea as well, but can't be certain.

She hasn't started laying yet. Her sister started laying about 2 weeks after we brought them home. She is fed layer mash and scratch mix from the feed store. I also throw in scraps and let them roam for a few hours every afternoon. They were all wormed a few weeks ago. I have also recently cleaned out the coop and sprayed Coopex around for the spiders.

Can anyone give suggestions on what to do next? I have a large jar of garlic and some yoghurt, so I'm going to try that next. I might also mix some herbs through for them. Any suggestions on which ones would be best?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What did you use to worm them?

3. vick01

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    The bottle is at home. I'll have to check.

4. vick01

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    [​IMG]
    This is a photo of Stephanie.
    [​IMG]
    This is her sister Alesso, who came home at the same time.

5. enola

What color are her legs? Does she have tail feathers?

6. vick01

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    This afternoon I found her lying in a corner. I picked her up, and she was more than happy to cuddle. I know she trusts me now.

When I was cuddling her, I found some lice, so I dust bathed her in diatomaceous earth, as it was all I had. I've also thrown it around the hen house, dust bath and nesting box.

When I was dusting her, I found either a large scab, or the stump of her tail. I can't believe I didn't notice it missing before. I just thought she had messy feathers.

I've separated her from the other chickens. I witnessed some vicious pecking this afternoon. She seems happy. She's eating and walking around her new pen.

7. vick01

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    Enola, her legs used to be pale, but now seem to be the same colour as the others. I've also noticed that her "ears" are turning reddish. I'm sure they are brighter than a few days ago. But her comb is still underdeveloped and pale.

8. vick01

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    [​IMG]
    This is a photo I found on my phone showing more of her rear end.

9. enola

You need to get some poultry dust, DE is not going to work. What does her poop look like?

10. vick01

Oct 5, 2014
    Sydney,Australia
    I had a quick look this morning. As she's separated, I can finally tell which poop is hers, and it looked fine. Only a quick look though. She's still eating, and she looks quite alert.

I'll head past the feed store today and pick up some poultry dust. How often should I use it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by