1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Pals

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    So what other poultry can safely go with chickens? I have a huge fenced in area already, but will likely expand still to accommodate more birdies so space isn't an issue. I will be ordering ducks, geese, and turkeys next spring but I need to know now if they can safely be penned with the chickens and if so where do they sleep? I know ducks are safe, but still where do they sleep? Also, I have read previously about either geese or swans (don't remember which) drowning chickens and being bullies, is this something to worry about? We may also have a few cows and goats next year and I figured my increasing flock could be let out to semi-free range in their pasture, is that okay?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We had a chicken go into the cow pasture and our cows went crazy - stomping and kicking! She barely got out. I don't know if that's unusual, but none of the others have gone into the pasture. I do have a turkey in with my chickens.

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand geese and turkeys are good at running certain predators off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by