chicken pandemonium, the little ones have invaded!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by plantguy90, May 24, 2010.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    I have 7 silkies 8 weeks old and assorted layer pullets 8week, 7week, 5 week, 2x 3 weeks. They had their own space and run, but now they have broken out into the main area where my two older layers hang. My alpha hen has been sick, and she can only go after one at a time, so the young ones swarm and now have basically taken over the entire run. I'd just as soon let them all be and coexist, but now I dont know how to separate the foods. The young ones are nibbling at the layer crumbles. They all still have their food. Is it a problem if they sample the layer stuff? I read here that a lot of folks just let them mix, but how do you deal with the various nutrition requirements?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I feed everyone Purina Flock Raiser (you could theoretically use any brand "grower" type feed) and supplement oyster shell on the side free choice for the laying hens.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I don't have any chickens at present but I agree with Tala. It's okay if they nibbled at the feed. But as long as they eat their own grower/starter it should be fine. And you little ones seem to have taken over the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by