Chicken panting, making a funny noise...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peepshow2310, Aug 26, 2013.

1. peepshow2310

peepshow2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yes, it's hot outside but certainly not nearly as hot as it's been. I know chickens can pant when hot however this is not the same (and none of the others are panting.) She is lying there, one eye closed (wont open it either) and it's like she is taking breaths by opening her beak each time. I am not sure it's a "cough" (though I have never heard one before) but some weird noise she makes from time to time. I am freaking out it's potentially contagious. I can video her and what she's doing for anyone interested in helping diagnose this problem. Thanks in advance!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be infectious bronchitis.

3. peepshow2310

peepshow2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    That's what I was afraid of. It is something that is reasonably treated? Haven't had time to research it yet. I don't have the space to do a true separation from the others and wondering if, sadly, the only alternative is to put her out of her misery? We have a small amount of chickens and would hate to loose the ones we have.

4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    If it's something like Mycoplasma, which is very common, they've probably all had it all along. It's just that only one is showing symptoms while the rest are just carriers...for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by