Chicken Paprikash

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Renee, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I made Chicken Paprikash tonight for my father-in-law's 83rd Birthday tomorrow. It's a very rich dish, and it tastes best served on wide egg noodles.

Chicken Paprikash

3 lbs chicken breasts, cut into pieces
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup diced onion
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 cups diced canned tomatoes
    3 Tablespoons Sweet Hungarian Paprika
    1 Teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup light cream or half and half
    1/3 cup flour
    1 cup sour cream

In a heavy kettle, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and brown the chicken pieces on both sides, a few at a time, remove and set aside.

Add the last tablespoon of butter and the diced onions, and cook on very low heat for 10 minutes, until they begin to carmelize. Add the tomatoes, garlic, red bell pepper, paprika, salt, and chicken stock, cover and simmer on low for ten minutes.

Return the chicken to the kettle and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.

Remove the chicken pieces to a platter. In a separate bowl, combine the light cream with some of the hot sauce, and whisk in the flour until blended. Pour the mixture into the kettle, stirring, and cook until thickened. Add the sour cream and stir, pour over chicken pieces and serve with egg noodles or spaetzle.

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    sounds yummy! We love rich dishes in my house. Is it a Hungarian dish?

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Oh I love it!
    Brenda

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Yes, bluie, it is Hungarian. I don't know how authentic it is, since my recipe is from the New York Times Cookbook, but it tastes great.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I just saw this recipe. It looks like something we are going to have for dinner soon! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing!!

6. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Hi Renee,
    My family is from Hungary and my mother taught me how to make this. Actually she does not make it that way at all LOL It sounds good but the original is simpler. Hungarian people do not have easy access to tomatoes, garlic, etc during the winter months. They have to grow thier own and most veggies are jarred for the winter months, well back then anyway LOL My family's recipe has none of that in it. It is again simple to make.

Brown a small diced onion in the bottom of a pot with about 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken, skin side down and brown both sides (not cooking the chicken just lightly browning it). This recipe is for bone in chicken only, I use thighs and drumsticks, at least one piece per person. When chicken is brown cover it with paprika I mean cover it, the more the merrier (lots of paprika, I use plain and Hungarian hot to give it a nip), the name in English is Chicken Paprika but in Hungary it is reversed Paprika Chicken. Once you cover the chicken with paprika add hot water (I fill the teapot and bring it to a boil and set aside before cooking this meal) til the water line is about 2 inches above the chicken when you push the pieces down with a spoon. Cover and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste (only after it comes to boil) then turn down heat to medium, tilt cover and simmer for about 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a cup mix whole milk and flour. Remove chicken and add milk/flour mix and stir until dissolved / mixed in. If it seems to be too watery then add the mix again but put in more flour then milk. Add a small container of sour cream and stir til dissolved, stir in parsley flakes and add chicken back into pot. This dish should be a golden semi thick sauce served over pasta. We serve it over homemade noodles or elbow noodles. If using boxed noodles be sure to rinse them under running hot water after they have been drained. The starch from the noodles will give the dish a different taste so washing them is best and using hot water will keep the noodles hot LOL

I never heard of it using butter, lard was used in the original. I perfer not to use the breasts because of the small bones that fall off of them during cooking. Your recipe is most likely from someone who added thier own touch to the mix.

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I don't use tomatoes in mine. I learned to make mine from a German/Hungarian woman. She taught me how to make homemade Spatezle to serve it over. YUM-O!! I'm glad it's finally starting to feel like autumn around here so we can crank up the stove and make these hearty dishes again!

8. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I will have to invite you down to have a bowl when my mother makes it, she does make it much much better then I LOL!

9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I learned to make mine with onions AND red peppers. And instead of thickening with flour at the end, she taught me to use sour cream (VERY Hungarian!). Mmm.

10. rubytaurus

rubytaurus New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    I love chicken anyway , and any dish has chicken make me want to eat immediately. Your dish you bring us today sounds delicious. I wish that enjoy tonight. Tks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by