Chicken Parenting Can you Relate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlynaD, Mar 29, 2017.

1. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    So I had an accident happen today that got me to thinking that most of those here probably have had some kind of accident with their chicks-hens and I would be interested to hear the stories. I hope they are not all sad stories.
    I am posting this here as this is not an emergency and I don't need any help just wondering if anyone would share their Chicken Parenting Moments when an accident happened and what you did.

I will start. I am a student so I go to school 4 days a week. As the weather has been getting warmer I have tried to take the chicks and ducks outside more. Today I got home and went into the bathroom where we keep the brooder for the older chicks they are 4-5 weeks now. Because they are so big I have taken to opening the brooder to allow them to roam the bathroom and stretch their wings. Well today I had gotten a kiddie pool for the ducks and was busy filling it and getting that set up for them but I let them out not thinking anything of it as I have not had any issues before. So the ducks and I have a swim and I get them back inside and their brooder cleaned out then I go to check on the chicks and count only 12 when there should be 13. Thats when I see the toilet seat up and feathers in the water. I will note that I am in training to be a Licensed Veterinary Nurse so emergency is what I do especially with animals. So I grab her up out of the water and she is cold and almost won't move but her head was dry so she didn't drown. I grab a towel and begin to dry her off on the way to the bedroom where the hair dryer is plugged in. This whole time I am thinking I have killed one of my girls and it hurts my heart but we do manage to get her dry and warm and right now she is sleepy but is breathing ok and resting in a basket next to my keyboard. We had not given her a name yet so she named herself Lucky today.

[​IMG]

2. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Hi,

I have also had an accident with one of my chicks. Last year one of my Easter Eggers, Gertrude, was attacked by a large puppy. She was about 1-2 months old, but thankfully she lived. Her leg was damaged, (possibly broken), and some of the feathers had been ripped from her back. My sister and I wrapped her leg in a splint, and about two weeks later she was on her feet again! Now she is a full grown hen and loves to hop up into trees.

Olivia

3. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    Thats so good to hear that she survived do you have pics of her its amazing how young animals like that bounce back

4. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Yes here are some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Gertrude. Yesterday, when I was getting one of the feeders to fill with new food, she hopped from the ground onto my shoulder! It was really funny, I think she wanted me to feed her.

5. AlynaD

AlynaD Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Reno NV
    she is a beautiful bird I am so glad she survived chicken vs puppy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by