Chicken Pecked Badley

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miabee1230, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Miabee1230

Miabee1230 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    My young rooster has had his tail feathers yanked out. Not so bad that except now his back end looks like hamburger. It's horrible. I've separated him and put flour on the area to hopefully help the bleeding stop and keep it somewhat clean. Any advice? Will he even make it. It's as bad as I've ever seen something like this. I think it is actually down to the bone on the very tip of his tail end.

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. I think putting down is best, but , if your are determined to save a friend , I , get this wound healing spray at our feed store.Its an aerosol powder( sprays like liquid aerosol) Its furazolidone (furall). Its a topical antibacterial for wounds and sores. It sprays yellow. It works good for all livestock( I use it on my goats also) I paid $8.95.

3. Miabee1230

Miabee1230 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I want to see how he's doing. He seems okay but...... I may go get the spray and give it a shot.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Chickens get pecked badly all the time. It is certainly NOT a fatal condition. You need to get that wound cleaned out thoroughly and quickly. Try putting him in a warm bath and let him soak until you can see things clearly. Try some betadine solution in the water if you have it on hand. It's very important to get it cleaned out before you treat it in any manner.
    Next you can try some Neosporin ointment on it (LOTS of it) and bandage it up with a gauze pad and some of that bandaging material that sticks to itself. (I used it on a chicken's foot this week and it is AMAZING. It keeps her foot super clean and doesn't try to come off). If you can't bandage it, just the Neosporin should help.

Keep an eye on it. Infection is the enemy. Some oral antibiotics could help as well.

He MUST be kept isolated until he heals otherwise they others will continue to peck at him.

Good luck and keep us posted!

5. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    I had this very same thing happen to one of mine a couple of weeks ago. When I found him, he was as limp as a dish rag. I thought he was a goner for sure. He is doing fine now. All I did was pour some hydrogen peroxide on the tail. I wish I could have put some neosporin on the wound, but by the time I got some, he was up and around and the tail was drying out. So, I just left it alone.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:Put a chicken down because it's tail feathers have been plucked out??? Come on......there wouldn't be any chickens left with that kind of advice.

7. Miabee1230

Miabee1230 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    Thanks for all the info. He's up and about but man he looks bad......

8. Miabee1230

Miabee1230 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    In all honesty, it's not just that the feathers are plucked out.... I seriously think I saw the very tip of the bone. It's terrible. [​IMG]

9. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    And she also used the term hamburger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by