Chicken pecked like crazy!! Bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Catfish267, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    I just noticed that one of my chickens was being attacked this morning by fellow chickens and she is bleeding on her butt. Something was hanging out and I think it may be an organ or something because it came out the butt. Pretty disgusting... I put her in a seperate cage all by herself but I don't know what medicine to give her. It's supposed to go down to -5 tomorrow night. Any suggestions of what to do? Thanks.

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Definetley hook up a heat lamp! Make sure she has fresh clean water, and maybe a crumble feed so it's easier for her to eat. All you can do is wait, unless you wan't to bring her to the vet.

3. nkkennedy

nkkennedy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    I am sorry to hear that :( I hope she makes it. It sounds like you did the right thing. If you have a vet I would call...the vet might be able to give you some pain meds for her just to help her along so she doesn't suffer.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How is your girl? Sounds like she may have a prolapse.

Here is a link explaining vent prolapse.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

5. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    thank you for helping identify the problem. I am 95% sure she is having a prolapse thing because of you . Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by