Chicken pecked to near death

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by awielinga, Oct 31, 2016.

1. awielinga

awielinga New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    Ottawa
    On Saturday we found one of our Easter eggers on top of one of our Speckled Sussex pecking her on her back. When we got closer and investigated the damage, we found an horrific scene. Her vertebrae was exposed and parts of her guts too! Poor thing was still alive. We could not believe our eyes. We immediately took action, and put her out of her misery.

I understand that these things sometimes happen, especially when a chicken is injured. But ours was not, and our chickens are not aggressive. What makes it more odd is that we had just left them out for their run to free range less then an hour before the incident. We wonder why our speckled did not try to escape, she was not cornered and there was only one after her. All the other chickens were no where near them. In fact we found two of our chicks hiding under our coop. The only thing we can think of is perhaps an animal tried to attack her and was unsuccessful. When our easter egger saw that she was injured decided to take maters in her own hands.

Has a similar incident ever happened to you? We feel horrible and just want to make sure this never happens again.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community but sorry it's under these circumstances. :(. Chickens can be merciless when a flock member is injured. I guess it's nature's way of having a stronger collective, by weeding out the weak. It's certainly plausible that your chicken was injured and then the EE did what came natural. It seems unlikely that the EE did the initial damage. However, if you see that same EE tearing into another bird, you might need to remove her from the flock. If it was a predator I hope you find and deal with it. Best wishes! :hugs

3. awielinga

awielinga New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    Ottawa
    Thanks for your reply. I certainly hope it was a predator that first attacked her as I hate to think that I have a crazy psycho chicken! Unfortunately i won't be able to let them free range until I have a better system in place to protect them.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - sorry to read of your loss. I agree with the sentiments expressed by @redsoxs - chicken society is tough.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

So sorry. Hard to know why. If no injuries were apparent for the chicken to pick on. Wow. [​IMG]

6. mstamme2u

mstamme2u Just Hatched

Jul 30, 2016
    Kelseyville, CA
    Welcome to BYC! :cd

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so sorry for your loss, that must be devastating. :hugs I hope you figure out what happened!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    so very sorry - what a horrible thing to come across. [​IMG]

10. awielinga

awielinga New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    Ottawa
    so far no other incidents have happened so if this was our EGs doing, hopefully it was a one-off.
    Thanks for your comments!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by