Chicken pecking egg

ClevelandBawks

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Novice chicken keeper here with novice egg layers! When I collect eggs in the morning, one egg always has a peck dent in it--the shell is never broken all the way, though. And it always seems to be the same color/shape egg. Could one of my new layers alway be pecking her egg after she lays it? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a chicken cam could solve the mystery. But that might be overdoing it.

Please advise! Many thanks...

Try putting a hard fake egg in the box. A wooden or ceramic egg or even a golf ball looks enough like an egg. When the hen pecks at those hard eggs she'll be unable to dent them. It should stop the pecking.

If you aren't collecting more than once a day, you might check in the evening, too. My birds lay at all times of day and night. the less time an egg sits around, the less time there is for it to attract the wrong sort of attention.

Thanks for the advice, you guys! There are golf balls in there already. Maybe I'll get the ceramic ones, too; they might be harder on the beak or something. This morning there were no peck marks, and I think everyone who's laying laid. I wonder if I got out there earlier today.

my barred rock is starting this.
i saw her do it once.
she only pecks her egg.

i will have to get a few wooden eggs from the craft store.

I have a hen that came with a trio of red sexlinks that I recieved from a friend ,after adding them to my flock of younger hens she is extremely shy and doesn't leave the coop.
The other 2 blended in after a few days with no problems but she is bullied by everyone and I've noticed she is an egg eater even after insuring that she has food and water in coop she has become very brazen about eating eggs.
I've been in the coop and watched her stand by the nest box waiting patiently for an egg to be left then starts pecking. I've removed her for now.

Back
Top Bottom