1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken pecking hatching ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    I posted earlier about my ducks hatching and now have a question?

I just went out to check and two more duck babies are hatching. Not sure if they've pecked the holes bigger or the 1st baby duck or the hen?? The 1st baby is very interested in it's siblings.
    I noticed hashbrown pecking them thru the holes? Should I removed them to the brooder now or is she just trying to speed up the process?? I don't want her to hurt them.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The chick is curious and since they dont have fingers, they peck. If you feel the chick is dry enough, I would move it.
    Don't forget to post duck pics! [​IMG]

3. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    The one duckling is all the way dry. The other two are still in the eggs but both have half dollar size holes nows and the big hen is pecking them.

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I'd take them away/remove her. We had 1 hen that was very aggressive towards ducklings. She managed to kill 1 in an attempt to eat its shell.

5. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    I took the two away yesterday afternoon. They have both hatched now. There's still two eggs left and one has started. I'll gonna take it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by