1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken pecking me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ams3651, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    One of my EE's pecks me if I get close her, how do i stop this. Im thinking I should pick her up and hold her but, geesh...it hurts. Shes the only one who does it and she gives me the stink eye I swear. What should I do. Shes not pecking me like shes attracted to something, its the leave me alone kind.

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I have an EE that does that too. I just keep going at her with the back of my hand on her breast and down between her legs...I'm trying to get her used to my hand so I can get eggs out from under her if/when she starts to lay. She really nails me tho and it does hurt! I just grin and bear it and keep working with her. I hope she gets over it.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A good cuff around the head works for my EE....she sure is a nasty! [​IMG] [​IMG] If I have one that is trying to go broody, and she pecks me if I try to get her off the nest, then I put on some gloves and yank her off anyway. I don't allow any malcontent behavior in the henhouse.... [​IMG]

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    They look at you as one of the flock and you have to "earn" you way to the top of the pecking order, sorta. I did the same as the above with mine, you don't have to smack them hard, just a swat and be direct and go about your business, and if you can pick her up go for it, that helps with the "so, who's the boss around here" issue.

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    When mine was doing this I took the advice from another BYCer and grabbed him/her by the legs, held it upside down til it calmed down then flipped it back upright and held, petted and carried it around for a while. Took about 3 days of this every time I was pecked. Now it begs and follows me around like the rest of them. But no more pecks!
    This is a couple of pics of when it was still pecking at me:
    1. Planning the angle of attack
    [​IMG]
    2. Going in for the kill(I moved my hand just in time)
    [​IMG]

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    LOL reminds me on Juno how u said stinkeye.
    "No thats just how her face is." [​IMG]

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i did swat her a little when she did it but I didnt know if that would work. I'll have to get a good pair of gloves and hold her. thanks

8. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You have to come at them, no backing away. I know its instinct to back away from the potential pain but you have to back them down. Make them fear your moves, not the other way around. Now, when I have to remove the EE from the nest, she just ducks down. She knows that the pecking doesn't work with me. When I approach her on the roost, she kind of squats....before, she would go for the "peck" first. Broke the rooster the same way...no backing down from a fight here.

I have some very sweet hens that follow me and eat out of my hand and, then, there are the nasty ones. I guess its just like people....you can try, but some folks just aren't going to be your friends!

10. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    my biggest bo would peck at me when i tried to pet her, if i moved my hand too fast toward her. i started to just put my hand down a couple of feet in front of her first then moved it slowly toward her. if she did peck at me anyway, I would quickly smack her beek lightly and hold my finger up at her eye level. this let her know who was boss, but not enough to make her run away. a couple of times of this and she no longer is trying to peck at me as long as i go slowly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by