Chicken Pecking Wound ***PICS OF WOUND ATTACHED***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladya, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ladya

ladya Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Hey y'all. I have a Rhode Island Red who got pecked pretty bad. The wound was hidden pretty good under wing and so I hadn't seen it until probably well after it happened. It's pretty deep and I did go out and get Wonder Dust to apply to it and separated her from all other chickens. She is now warm and in her own small coop and we are giving her electrolytes in her water and applying the Wonder Dust daily. Is there anything else that I need to be doing? I feel like I should be cleaning out her wound or putting on ointment. Not sure since we're beginners at having egg laying chickens. Any advice is much appreciated. She is the one who lays all of our "BIG" eggs and we don't want to see her in a lot of pain. Also, she is hobbling around a bit but I'm not seeing anything wrong with her legs. Just thinking she's in pain on that side and is probably tensed up pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

that looks bad

3. ladya

ladya Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Don't I know it! But three days later she's still walking around and other than the hobbling seems to be fine. I'd just love to know what to do to make sure she makes a healthy comeback from this. I don't have the money right now for vet bills seeing as we're closing on a house. I was told Wonder Dust does wonders... But feel like I should be doing more. Any takers?

4. kwinnypoo

kwinnypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    This wound is necrosed. You need to debride it (clean all that decay out, even if you have to scrape out with razor blades... hopefully soaking it in warm water will loosen it enough to debride with your fingers).

Then after that, keep that wound clean with mild soap (dial orange soap if you have it)... Clean daily... You can use a number of things to cover the wound with, but as long as you are keeping it clean, that would do. If you can get ahold of silver sulfadiazine cream, that stuff works wonders, but it's $$$

5. MarcoPollo

MarcoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2012
    Hot Coffee, MS
    Yikes! What kwinnypoo said is what I would do too. I am new to chicken keeping but have had experience with treating cat/dog wounds. The nastiest and most-infected bite wounds can heal impressively when kept clean with daily care. Warm compresses can help loosen the decay if she won't let you soak the area in warm water. If you can, it is also sometimes easier to hold the animal in a tub or sink that has a spray nozzle so you can let warm water spray gently onto the area for about 5 minutes. And continue to keep her away from the others! She needs some serious alone time to heal. I have never used Wonder Dust, and don't really know which (if any) antibiotic to suggest. In a pinch, neosporin can't hurt as long as you re-clean daily.
    I agree that she is probably hobbling cause it hurts when she walks. One of my hens not too long ago had no visible injuries but was acting sore - wouldn't move unless absolutely necessary. I sequestered her for a few days and she was back to normal. I chalked it up to some bruising somewhere cause she may have fallen or something. Who knows what these birds do when we're not around?
    I've seen picture after picture that shows how quickly a chicken's skin can heal, so good luck to you and her!

6. ladya

ladya Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks to you both! You guys are awesome! I am hoping she is okay until I get home from work today. We are actually having some other family issues with closing on a house that we are getting worked out and I had no time to care for her last note other than getting fresh food and water. Feeling like a horrible person, but the advice about letting her soak was just what I needed. I don't know how well I'd do with a razor blade since I'm no vet and the thought of using a razor on her scares me to death!

7. CSgirl

CSgirl New Egg

May 23, 2012
    I have a similiar problem, (not as bad as yours) but my question is how to stop the other hens from continuing to do this?

We just introduced 2 new hens (8 months old) and one is responsible for pecking at the other one and leaving a pink bald spot on it's back. How do I stop it and will the other hens start to do the same? I had all nice mannered hens beore these 2 came along and I don't want them influencing the flock! :eek:

thanks

8. ladya

ladya Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Ditto CSGirl! I have at least two that I visibly see doing the pecking and have pecked our two of our roosters pretty bad. Blue Kote has worked somewhat for us as a deterrent but I'm starting to think I've got to spray everyone's back every say with it to stop all this madness! And that would be unrealistic and expensive! Also, I can't believe this, but out injured bird is still laying eggs. :0/

9. ladya

ladya Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    *every day with it

10. ladya

ladya Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Also, does it have to be Dial Soap? Can it be Orange Antibacterial Palmolive? Does the brand matter? Just checkin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by