Chicken pecking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taz982, Mar 10, 2013.

1. taz982

taz982 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Hey all,

All but one of my chickens has bald spots on the bottom of their back. I assume its one pecking the others. The only one I've ever seen be aggressive though is the rooster, but even he has a bald spot. I have removed him from the coop, in hopes of solving it but I'm not sure. Do you all think it could be the spotless hen pecking everyone even the rooster? Or is it more likely the rooster picking on the hens and one or two occasionally fighting back a bit? I really don't know what to think! Any thoughts will help!
    Unfortunately I have no where to put the rooster, so he is outside the coop roosting next to the window. He looks pathetic and upset :(.

taz

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. I've had a roo that had that and a hen. And the hen is an alpha hen. I have no idea why. Just as long as she doesn't bleed, I'll leave it. Otherwise, I'll coat the area with some ichthamol, smells awful. Feed stores have it.

1 person likes this.
  3. taz982

taz982 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    They occasionally get out of their enclosed space when I go for their eggs. When I catch them I coat their spots with this watery blue antibiotic stuff I picked up at the feed store. I'll look for ichthamol next time. I have seen chickens with a drop of blood or two where the feathers get pulled out, but that is a rare occasion. Usually it looks clean.

Should I put the roo back in you think? The worst one has probably a bare spot the size of two silver dollars.
    Thanks for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by