Chicken Pens in Africa

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wbecca52, Oct 30, 2009.

1. wbecca52

wbecca52 New Egg

Oct 30, 2009
    What would be the most basic, and least expensive coop and pen a youngster in Africa could build? I need a list of supplies available there and prices so I can send the information to these two young men, (19 & 8) so they could build and I could send them a small flock of Chickens.
    Thanks for any suggestions and help you could send me.

2. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    How are you going to send the chickens to Africa?

3. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    I suppose it depends on where in Africa you're talking about . I shudder at the thought of trying to fend off predators in some parts of Africa!

4. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    I live in South Africa and I keep chickens. many people in foreign countries think that all of africa is lions antelopes and jungle (this thing kind of gets annoying [​IMG] )

South Africa is a more well of country than the others besides Lybia and Egypt.Which country in africa are you sending them to and is it possible to deliver live animals to other continents ?

Because I have been googling My Pet Chicken , Murray Mcmurray hatchery , ideal poultry and other hatcheries that seem so proffessional to try and deliver chicks to South Africa, they cant unfortunately [​IMG] .We dont have hatcheries for traditional breeds here, its just hybrid layers or meat birds. So it can be a bit challenging finding pure breeds like my pekin and rosecomb.

I envy you guys soooo much [​IMG]

Shipping live animals is hard and I kinda dought they will survive bieng transported so far.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. ColoradoMike

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:That's why I said "it depends on where in Africa". [​IMG]

Though I must confess, I did envision trying to build a lion-proof coop! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    I believe, in poorer parts, they keep the chickens in the houses to keep them safe from predators. 1/2" hardware cloth is a bit difficult to come by.

There's such a huge range of economic levels and QoL standards in Africa... where exactly are your young friends?

7. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. ColoradoMike

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

Great point, HippieChickens. Heifer Int'l is our 'go to' gift for much of our family - most Americans don't need more 'stuff' and what better to do with your gift dollars than provide sustainable sustainance to the 'less fortunate' in 'third world' countries (I hate that term).

9. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Quote:That's why I said "it depends on where in Africa". [​IMG]

Though I must confess, I did envision trying to build a lion-proof coop! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Hello,
    I believe that if you go through an organization like Heifer International, they will help with the housing. I realize that you probably want to send chickens to a specific person in Africa, but you might contact them to see what they can do. A flock of chickens through Heifer is $20 and with it, the HI organization teaches whoever recieves them animal husbandry stuff.

Just a thought.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by