CHICKEN PEOPLE (esp SW FL!!)..PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERS..

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by PeepCrazee, Jul 16, 2011.

1. PeepCrazee

PeepCrazee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    IT SEEMS THERE IS A BOTHERSOME PRACTICE HAPPENING THAT IS RUFFLING THE FEATHERS OF OUR "OPPOSITION"
    Although we would all like to "shake the crud" out of some of our "nosy neighbors", when we are currently in a fight to "save our chickens", the last thing we need to do is make things worse! Here is a copy of the letter I sent out to our area, in hopes that this unsanitary practice be stopped, so as not to give the rest of us a bad name!

I AM PUTTING THIS MESSAGE OUT TO ALL MY "CHICKEN FRIENDS"!

I have recently had the privilege of hearing from "the other side". It seems that one of their biggest complaint is that some "chicken owners" are improperly disposing of their chicken's waste! Instead of bagging it up & taking it to the curb or reusing it in compost,they are dumping it in a nearby canal/culdesac or in a neighboring empty lot! THIS IS WRONG and should not be done! This is inconsiderate to those around you.

Please do not continue to practice this way of disposal! It is completely unsafe and unsanitary to those around you! This is irresponsible pet ownership and it is making our job to get chickens legalized VERY difficult! Whoever has practiced this type of disposal should really consider cleaning up the area you are dumping, as it creates a very bad smell and can make people around you sick! It is no wonder that the "opposition" is so up in arms!

If you are not fortunate enough to have your own composter, then simply bag up the waste and take it to the curb on trash day or call a local gardener, who I'm sure they would LOVE to have such a treat for their composter!

PLEASE heed this warning...it is not fair that some are doing this and making the rest of us, who are properly caring for their flocks, look bad...WE ALL NEED TO STICK TOGETHER and TRY OUR VERY BEST TO BEFRIEND THE OPPOSITION AND NOT TICK THEM OFF WORSE...Thank you and God Bless:)

If you are not one who is practicing this unsanitary procedure, then I apologize that you have received this email, but if you know of someone who IS doing this PLEASE ask them to STOP. We are trying to promote the raising of chickens as a positive thing. And we all have to make this work. Again, thank you for your time and consideration to this matter!

GO BACKYARD CHICKENS!![​IMG]

Respectfully yours,

Dianna Caminos

"the chicken lady"

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Sorry Hon but respectfully, did they give you any proof? anything? addresses...names. could be just a pile of chicken poo for all we know. (pun intended) [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. SycamoreChickens

SycamoreChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I've never known anyone to practice unsanitary chicken practices (I have seen dog owners doing unfavorable things with their dog's waste though). This is a good reminder for those who are not as responsible. It is sad that a few bag eggs (pun intended) can make 99.9% of chicken owners look bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by