Chicken perching on the fence!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wakkibanana, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Wakkibanana

Wakkibanana Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    I need help. While I was in the process of building the run, I allowed my 2 month chickens outside for short periods of time. In that time, one of them figured out how to perch on the fence. At the time it was 4 feet high. I have since added 2 feet on top and tied the two layers together, and she still manages to get on top of it. She's escaped once by jumping off the other side, but i don't think its her intention to escape, just to perch. I'm also concerned because "her" fence is right along my neighbor's yard, and my neighbors have dogs. What should I do to discourage this? I want to avoid putting a roof on the run but i don't know what else to do.

2. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I keep wings clipped to prevent this. It is easy to do and maintain. It will prevent them from being able to fly high enough to perch on your fence.

blackdog043 likes this.
  3. Noaskye

Noaskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2017
    Southern MD
    Maybe build some other perches in your run.

4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
  5. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

You don't have to put a solid roof on. My big girls were in a roof-less yard and the crows kept helping themselves to my girls' dinner, so I meshed the roof of their new run. Because it's light, it doesn't need much support, I just ran some wire diagonally and it holds the mesh up fine.

Cindy in PA and RUNuts like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by