1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken personalities

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by genabeana, Apr 15, 2009.

1. genabeana

genabeana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    Hi, I have an extreme newbie question!

I have 6 hens, about 7 weeks old now. When they were chicks, we picked them up and hung around them, but apparently not nearly enough. They always run when we come near, and are never comfortable when we pick them up. My neighbor has chickens that follow her around. She can't believe that mine don't and says I need to pick them up more. How much time should I be spending on "building relationships" ([​IMG] with chickens, for goodness sake? Our chickens stubbornly refuse to follow us anywhere - they'd much rather run like the dickens! I've been picking up one hen at a time and sitting with them for a half an hour or more at a time to make them comfortable. Though they do become comfortable, often falling asleep in my lap, I suppose they're not bright enough to retain these lessons because they all still run and squwak and in general seem to believe that we are going to wring their necks anytime we're coming around them.

Am I being too picky to expect them to be more friendly? This is probably a ridiculous question to pose, please feel free to let me know! Thanks!

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I asked this same question when my girls were 5-6 weeks. Lots of people here said they are going through adolescence/terrible teenagerhood and that this was a stage they would pass through. Just keep working with them, mine are now 10 weeks old and they all follow me everywhere and run toward me for a hug, pet or cuddle when I open the coop door. Hang in there!

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    A handfull of treats will help. They will eventually figure out who brings those treats and will come running when they see you. They will also pout if you don't have treats for them. Like the earlier post said they are teenagers at this point. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] I agree...TREATS! TREATS! TREATS! Even the ones who weren't friendly as babies will now come running because I brought a slice of bread out every morning! Now, they come whether I have snacks, or not. The ONLY way to a chicken's heart is treats! LOL! I sit outside with mine in the morning and pinch off pieces of bread for them. Some of them want to sit in my lap, or want me to hold them. Others will just sit nearby waiting for their treat.

Don't feel bad. [​IMG] They will come around. They do go through a pretty bratty stage, but they should get over it soon. I don't think you should pick them up when they don't want it, though. Just be near them with treats. Don't force it.

Shelly

5. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    will even snobby leghorns be like this? I've heard they end up being really antisocial and I don't want that :-(
    Thanks!
    I'm Shelly too :)

6. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Even though my leghorn was never as "lovey" as some of my other girls and kept her distance... she would ALWAYS run up to eat out of my hand.

7. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:LOL! I'm a nurse with red-headed boys! [​IMG]

My leghorn will come up and almost touch me. He will eat out of my hand, too. Sometimes he'll just come up and sit by me. He doesn't want to be picked up, though.

Shelly

8. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    LMAO tooooo funny! What a coincidence! Where do you live?
    I am hoping they at least get like that and dont scatter every time I come near them! They even like "freeze" when I talk to them at first...it's nuts

9. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:In Oklahoma! Where are you?

Shelly

10. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I just posted about this on another thread. We have two groups of chicks that are a week apart.

The first group is 5 wks old, 3 RIRs, and 6 white chicks that I think are white rocks. They all are friendly, come up to ya, sit on your shoes, eat out of ya hand, don't mind being picked up, etc.

The second group is 4 wks old, consisting of 6 EEs, 2 RIR, 2 SLW, 4 Australorps, and 2 Cochins (I think Cochins.) This group is flighty, and have ADD, along with an antisocial disorder! None want to be touched. They scatter, and scream if your hand just goes in the brooder, refuse to even attempt eating out of ya hand, etc.

The thing is, we've done nothing different! They have all received the same attention, and care. It makes no sense, and I worry that I wont be able to free-range the second group because they won't come back into the coop at night, and won't let us catch them and put them in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by