Chicken personalities

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Europa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    UK
    Hi everyone!
    Do you think Cockerels have more character than hens? [​IMG]

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    I don't know about cockerels but my girls have very distinct personalities. I can't tell several of them apart anymore until I interact with them. Then I see the differences.

Lucy is very jealous, she pecks at anyone I pet or hold. Ivy is the loner of the bunch. And Gertie is a nut job! She can't go into the coop on the first try. She always ends up circling it two or three times before she makes it in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Europa

Europa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    UK
    Aww, they're lovely!

I have a pair of lavender Pekins. The rooster is has a brilliant personality and is a real softie, I love him to bits...His hen however, is generally quiet and isn't interested in human interaction.

Unfortunately my rooster is getting very old :( I know he won't last forever so I'm trying to decide if I'd like another rooster or a couple of hens to make a trio with my existing hen.

(PS: what breed are your girls? They have very big, red combs for ladies! They're beutiful)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Barred Plymouth Rocks. Very friendly, and very good layers. They follow us everywhere we go. They're 8 months old now. We got them at 3 days old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by