Chicken Personality Traits

Do you think this thread will aid others in their plight to raise chickens?

• No, I do not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ProbablyDusk

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2017
Under the Stars!
An issue that I am currently undergoing, is that I have a Polish Rooster, his name being Elvis and age being around 1.5 years old, and his overall attitude has been very... unlikable. He will run up to any person who is not me, even if they are on the outside of his pen (a 10X10 which is connected to a large wood-built pen). He has attacked every human he has come across, me included, and it is becoming quite worrisome (I am unsure is this matters at all, but he has raised 5 Silkies, all of which the same age, and he was their father in a way ever since 2/27/2017.)

I have eventually decided that I should either rid ourselves of him, or keep him to see if he becomes less aggressive in his later years.

Most breeds emulate their disposition. However, on occasion you get a man hating rooster. They are usually delicious. When I sold my Chocolate Orpingtons, it was principally because the rooster 'Charlie' hated my son with a passion, and no one else. The problem was he was starting puberty and 'Charlie' could sense/smell/whatever his testosterone and viewed him as a rival. He would chase him if he appeared in the yard and attempt to spur him, but no one else. Women could cuddle him and he would not fight.

He was fierce about his chubby girls, but it wasn't a seller, and I respected my son's wishes by eliminating the threat from the yard.

Yeah, I was going to think of the same.
It was a good thing he had his spurs removed, but outside of his attitude and attacking nature, he was a good dad to the Silkies.
I am unsure if stating we had received him as a gift Seven months ago (him being at least 5 months old) would cause any type of change in his behavior.

As for right now, I am trying to think of what chicken to cross-breed with a Silkie to gain the their ideal motherly trait.

I will place more thought into the removal of the rooster, but thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I was going to think of the same.
It was a good thing he had his spurs removed, but outside of his attitude and attacking nature, he was a good dad to the Silkies.
I am unsure if stating we had received him as a gift Seven months ago (him being at least 5 months old) would cause any type of change in his behavior.

As for right now, I am trying to think of what chicken to cross-breed with a Silkie to gain the their ideal motherly trait.

I will place more thought into the removal of the rooster, but thank you for your reply!

No. Some roos are just mean regardless. I tend to cull them. The most docile I have dealt with are my Coronation Sussex. Putting excess roos down was a challenge for me, because they are so docile. I prefer culling mean roos. A mean roo is useless to me in the event the personality continues. I dispatched many FBCM roos that were as mean as snakes. I left the more friendly ones live.

Back
Top Bottom