Chicken personality

The Food Lady

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
I have a Lavender Orpington rooster who is very devoted to his hens. He is also very gentle toward people. He eats out of our 3 year old granddaughter’s hands. Is this typical of this breed? He’s the only rooster I’ve kept long term. I know some breeds are kinda mean. I’m interested in other breeds but can’t have a mean Roo.

Lavender Orpingtons and orpingtons in general tend to be very friendly, of course not every Lavender orpington you will meet will be as nice, but in general, its not just luck.

This is why Lavender Orpingtons are some of my favorite chickens due to how friendly they are

I would still be careful as not every orpington rooster you meet will be friendly, but that goes for every type of rooster, but overall, the lavender orpingtons are very friendly!

Sounds like you have a good rooster! The orpingtons in general are known for their gentle nature. Any rooster from any of the breeds can be good or bad. I've had multiple roosters of multiple breeds over the years ant not a single one been bad (knocks on wood). How they are raised, genetics, and general breed do play a part on temperament but any bird can break the general mold.

Cochins also make gentle roosters in general if you ever want to try another breed. I have a lavender Orpington cockerel right now but I don't interact with him. He doesn't attack me or my kid but I don't know if he's just too young. I'm interested to see how he turns out when he gets to his real home (cause its not with me haha)

Back
Top Bottom