chicken photography

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by southernsibe, Nov 23, 2007.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    This is sort of a strange question, but. If you have show chickens, do you have pictures taken of them? Do you take pictures of them or do you have them taken professionally?

thanks
    Rachel

2. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    I would like to have an answer on this one too.

I am about to go to a poultry show and I want to take pictures of the different breeds. Am I going to have to take the pictures through the cage bars or will they take each one out to judge it? Can I take pictures then or will that freak the bird out and blow its point score?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, from what I have seen, to judge the chickens the judges get their hands all over the birds to feel for things like weight, straight keel bones, enough meat, and then also look from afar at different characteristics. As for pictures, not sure.

4. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Thanks Silkiechicken, Pictures of chickens being prodded, weighed, and having their beaks examined were not the shots I had in mind.

I really want pics of the birds though.
    Perhaps I can talk an owner to take a bird out of the cage for pics after the judging.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  6. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Here are your options when taking pics of chooks at shows.

(1)In the cage. This works better for group shots. Turn off your auto focus if zooming in on an individual bird, or you are likely to get the cage wires in focus, & the chicken blurry.

[​IMG]

(2)While being judged. This normally doesn't freak the bird out, but you should ask the judge's permission first.

[​IMG]

These next options are only possible if they are your birds, or the owner is there.

(3)In the cage with the door open.

[​IMG]

(4)On top of the cage. Ask the judge or someone from the poultry comittee if this is ok.

[​IMG]

(5)Owner holding chook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by