1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken physical therapy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffychicken24, Dec 4, 2013.

1. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Hey! My Rhode island red chick has a lame leg,and gets around pretty well, but I have a question. I was wondering is there's physical therapy or something like that i can do to help strengthen her other leg(the one she walks on)? I set up a low roost about 2 inches off the ground, but her leg isn't strong enough to jump on, and I'm not sure if she could stay on either way. If there's something I can do to help her leg get stronger, what is it? And could she stay on the roost?
    Thank you! :D:D:D

2. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I read something similar to this on the scratch and peck blog about Lucy (her hen was paralyzed because of Mareks). She would support Lucy's body up, and encourage Lucy to walk. This way, the hen could walk without her full body weight on her legs, and work on strengthening her legs. Sorry, I can't find the exact blog post...

ETA: I found a link to her book, and it describes how she did it. It's a book preview in Google Books - just type in "lucy chicken therapy" and you shoud find it...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

5. fluffychicken24

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Ah. Thank y'all bunches! I'll check it out! :)

6. fluffychicken24

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
  7. nicole camp

nicole camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    Therapy for young chicks! It really works!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by