Chicken Picks her own back feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iammamoo, Dec 5, 2011.

1. iammamoo

iammamoo New Egg

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi there. I have a grey chicken (unsure of breed and exact age as we adopted her). She is the boss of the flock. She picks her own back feathers. She has a bare spot on the top of her back. It has been there since we have had her (over 6 months). I have tried putting vicks as well as bag balm on it, but it doesn't seem to help. It is never to the point of bleeding and the other chickens don't bother her. Just not sure if this is a big deal or what to do. She was a decent layer before (probably about 3-4 eggs per week), but didn't lay for several months. She seems to have just started laying again (very sporatically). Should I be concerned? I think she is probably 2-3 years old.

Thanks!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi iammamoo,

Just reading on the forum tonight and it seems lots of feather plucking is going on in the world of chickens. You may have read some of the posts too.

Seems like nutrition is the main culprit listed...especially in this case where she seems to be after her own feathers. boredom and lack of protein are also possible causes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by