1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Pics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JackieK318, Jul 7, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice bunch of boys you have there. The one you're calling a Wyandotte is not a Wyandotte at all. I can't say what he is, but the comb should be a rose comb. There are Wyandottes with single combs occasionally, but he also has the wrong body type for a Wyandotte.

2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Are you sure those on page 3 are silkies?? I could be wrong but they really dont look like the silkies I have seen.. or maybe Im just looking at the pics wrong...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks, Speckledhen! I was wondering about that one. She (if it is a girl - she's about 4-5 weeks old) was supposed to be a Silver Wyandotte (I should have known when the chick was all black), but is all black with some golden/red poking through around her neck and chest.

Silkies...I'm not sure of anything anymore. Those two were supposed to be Silkies, but nothing that lady sold me is right. I sure hope she wasn't preying on my inexperience. My hens are turning out to be roos, my silver wyandotte isn't silver at all and my buff orpington has traits of an EE.

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    ah.. I hope you dont get upset.. Chickens are fun even if you dont know what they are.. but the black one with orange around its neck sounds like my Rosie.. shes a black star.. they are great little chickens.. friendly and wonderful layers.. Heres a pic of my Rosie.. you can see if yours is looking like her...

[​IMG]

5. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm not mad. I'm just a bit sad about my hens turning into roosters. I'm now down to 6 layers. The local feed store is not getting any more chicks for the year and the breeder/hatchery I got mine from isn't returning my emails...

6. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you positive your blue andalusian is a roo? How old is he? I ask because I think sometimes the young ones get mistaken for roos because their combs are so much bigger than most other breeds'. I have a hen that has a comb that is bigger than your roo's (that's a pic of her around 12 weeks in my avatar, but the angle doesn't really show her comb well which is much much bigger now)

7. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    The Blue Andalusian has been crowing since Wednesday. The Cuckoo Maran started today. I was hopeful the first day Bleu crowed and passed it off as a 'chicken noise'. His doodle doo is getting clearer and he's bossing everyone else around. I actually have to get rid of the boys because the deal with hubby was no roos. [​IMG] I actually have a video of him crowing. I might post it for consideration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by