Chicken/pigeon combo

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cass87, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Cass87

Cass87 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Guys I want to build a new coop for my growing flock. Looking to build something that could hold about 8-10 birds max. The catch is I want to have a separate side for a pigeon loft with a fly pen. I used to keep racing homers and want to get back into it. Similar numbers - just big enough for a dozen pigeons max. I don't want a huge ugly looking loft/coop or the wife won't be happy. Surely someone else has done something like this? Looking for plans and/or pics. Thanks guys and gals

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I converted this baby barn to suit some of the needs you mention. If you watch the video displayed in my signature you see some ideas that may help you.
    I kept chickens and the like in the front portion of the building.

I lined my nest boxes for the pigeons with the empty nylon feed bags (my nest boxes are on the large size for my pigeons I could easily divide them into.)
    I used dog bowls from the dollar store for nest bowls (2 nest bowls per pair works best I find)

Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³ for the chickens). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
    Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 66 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  3. Cass87

Cass87 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Your signature didn't show up. I'm thinking something with 2 4x8 sections

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
  5. Cass87

Cass87 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Still haven't found plans and want to build this weekend before it gets too cold for them in their small coop. Can anyone point me in the right direction for building plans?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by