chicken,pigs,goats and rabbits oh my...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChristmasAnn, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ChristmasAnn

ChristmasAnn New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    I am sure you all know this type of person . My brother is a know it all. He knows everything from history to animlas ( and is correct .0555555% of the time [​IMG] ) and I cannot set him straight. One issue I have is he and my father part owner of a pig I take care of. They will eat him in November. By the way did I mention I take care of it ? My dad does buy some feed but has not once cleaned the pen , watered or gave them their corn..

Anyways my (know it all brother) wants to feed ALL my animals this junk food he gets from his friend. Old moldy sweet cakes, produce, bread; now I dont mind a treat once a month or so but he expects me to feed them this junk every day to fatten them up .(he says); I dont thinks its healthy. And I dont want my goats eating that junk. We will be drinking her milk soon and I want her healthy.

We live on my dads property so it is a delicate situation. My dad is a bully. If you know what I mean. My dad has 30 cats and gets mad at me because I dont get them fixed. (um not my cats.....[​IMG] He literaly yealls at me. The lady who used to fix them stoped doing so because my dad wont pay her for the las 10 she fixed. He may push me to my breaking point and I may just dump them off)

My brother has NOT raised a pig , goat or chicken in his life. Him and my dad watch "dirty jobs" and now think they are experts. [​IMG]
    And my brother and I get into so many arguments over this as well as his book of knowledge brain. He is full of hot air and knows eeverything. They think I am stupid and know nothing.

HELP ME!

What do I say of do?

Well I guess this was more of a rant; thanks for listening.

2. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well for the chickens and goats some treats aren't bad but it shouldn't be a main part of their diet since you don't really want them fat... You want them healthy so they can produce good eggs and milk...

But as for the pig... we always used to raise ours on "slop" or any and all kitchen scraps with some grain and they tasted great...

I would say since it's going to be his pig let him feed it the junk food and leave it at that... but make him stay away from your goats...

As for the cats I would take them all in the the animal shelter maybe one a week and just tell your dad they must keep taking off to find a new home... LOL but please don't take them and drop them off... They either starve to death, get run over or shot, or have to become someone else's problem...

We have one cat around here that someone dropped off and I can't catch her because she is wild and she won't stop breeding! It's so frustrating because now we have like 20 stray cats around here and it makes it hard to feed my own cats when I put food out for them and a ton of wild cats come eat it all... I'm sorry but it's too expensive to feed them all... We have adopted 4 strays already...

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I feed all that kind of stuff to my chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, pea cocks, pigeons, swans, horses, pheasants, quail and goat, they LOVE it, when they see you coming with a box of that stuff they are knocking eachother over to get it, they LOVE it I tell ya. We get our "stuff" out of a dumpster in town, we may get a truck load or a box. We get all kinds of cakes, pies, donuts, breads, meats, cheese, greens[all kinds of veggies], fruits, drinks, you name it we've gotten it. This is not the only food they get, we go thru 1300 lbs of feed in a month. I give this stuff as a treat and I cant tell you enough how much they love it, they go crazy over it, they fly up on me trying to get in the box before I can even get bent over to dump the box into the pen, they knock eachother over trying to get at it. Plus I have a neighbor lady who works at subway saving me all of their "waste" to feed to my gang.

Sorry I wasnt much help to you, but trust me, your critters would love it if you gave it to them.

4. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    We feed our pigs other things quite often. The local Mrs. Bairds store sells us racks of expired bread and sweets for cheap. The pigs love it and we have never had a problem with taste of the meat. We throw the chickens a loaf of bread a few times a week and they go crazy for it, same with them, never had a problem with the eggs.
    I have no experience with goats though.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Moldy foods aren't good for any of the animals so I wouldn't use any of that, but the other stuff is probably fine. A lot of farmers have been using this waste to their advantage for a long time - if it's going to be a signifigant part of their diet, take a look at the label and see how it measures up to their dietary requirements and make adjustments to their feed as needed.

6. zippy11455

zippy11455 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    I wouldn't eat that junk, why would you want to feed it to an animal you are raising for food? Kind of defeats the purpose of quality home raised meat, eggs and dairy. I really wouldn't feed moldy food.

I had a father like that I was so glad to grow up and get as far away as possible from the abusive nut. Good luck to you. Remember it's not you, but the situation that is crazy. Family, they sure can take all the fun right out of dysfunctional.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

IMO I would pack up porkie and take him to your dads house and say, there you go, you want to feed it all this slop, have at it. I am not going to stand by and watch this pig just get fat and not have good protein. As for the cats. It takes 2 to arugue, walk away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by