Chicken Pile-Up!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nancypo, Aug 22, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I peeked in about dark into our nesting box area, to see if Rosie had laid yet and found all 3 girls piled up/cuddling in one nest box! It's not cold, about 65, and they were pretty squashed. Is this normal? I would have taken a picture, but it was too dark and didn't want to freak them out. It was 20 cooler today, so maybe they thought it was "cold"? They were so CUTE [​IMG]

2. 503BEE

503BEE New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    This is how my 3 pullets sleep every night whether its warm or cold... All piled up in a nest box and an emtpy roost. One of them just started laying and she chose the nest box that they don't sleep in. Hopefully it stays that way!

3. foxchasr

foxchasr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Mine do that all the time!
    [​IMG]

This is Cookie, Jilly and my miracle one-legged hen, Hannah!

Correction, that's Catie, Jilly and Cookie! My miracle hen isn't in this pic [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    Do you want them to sleep on the roost? If so, you will need to move them after dark onto the roost. It may take a few times, or you can block off the nesting boxes before it is time for them to roost. It might be easier to make the change while they are young.
    [​IMG] They do look happy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Cute pic!!! Mine (if they're freeranging in the backyard) go into the coop and into the roost on their own before dark. I NEVER leave my girls out after dark, hawks in the area. The upper "condo" has a roosting area and nest boxes. They were piled up in a nest box cuddling. Works for me!

6. GrandmaAnn

GrandmaAnn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 58 birds young birds that should be using the roosts, instead they were piling into the nesting boxes. I have community nesting boxes - 4' x 1'. I must have had 30 birds in the one box. So, I stapled some snow fencing over the nesting boxes and kept going in after dark and putting them on the roosts. The first night, I had to move each bird a few times, even though it was dark. Last night, I didn't have to do any rearranging, finally. I went in and the roosts looked crowded. We are about 2 months from eggs, so I'll keep the nesting boxes blocked off for another 1 1/2 months.

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Here's some new pics of the "condo area" with nesting boxes, etc...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    What's the point in blocking off the nest boxes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by