Chicken play dates

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AfewBricks, Oct 8, 2013.

1. AfewBricks

AfewBricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm rehoming 2 of my cockerals to my sisters house. She has 2 bantam Cochins that are about 5 mths old, not laying yet. My cockerals are 7/8 weeks, also bantam frizzled Cochins. Are chicken visits a good idea before the big move or no?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

2 month and 5 month old birds are a bit different in size and age to put together. As for visitation, chickens are quite territorial and will bicker till they figure out the pecking order.

3. AfewBricks

Aug 31, 2013
    So, introducing them slowly would be better, wouldn't it? Or that doesn't matter with roosters?i thought introducing them slowly now, so then when they're big enough, they can move in.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I'd do one move, then let them sort it out, rather than MANY stressful moves back and forth

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What gender are her cochins? Are those all the birds she has? if they're hens and your cockerels are full size, that doesn't sound like a good mix to me.

Anyway, if the cockerels are full size, at this age they're probably about the same size, so it would be a good time for introduction. Just be sure there's lots of space and hiding places. And once is best. Moving them back and forth would be more stressful than just letting them take care of it. Let them work it out, don't keep pulling birds out unless there's blood involved.

6. AfewBricks

Aug 31, 2013

Hers are bantam Cochin hens, and mine are bantam frizzled Cochin cockerals. She only has 2, but would like more, we thought they would breed, and she could grow her flock. The cockerals are brothers and have a well established relationship of whose the boss. Maybe when it comes to breeding 2 hens for 2 cockerals isn't enough hens to start?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by