Chicken play pen!! ( duel purpose)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by redneck farmer, Mar 17, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I build a chicken play pen today an it turned out great!!! Ill give you step by step on how to build a play pen!!! ( it works GREAT for introducing new chickens/ chicks to your flock!!)
    Ok step one- buy at least 17ft of strong wire( I used "alligator brand wire"
    Then I grabbed my cutters
    [​IMG]
    Measured it to 17ft
    [​IMG]
    An cut.
    Then I flipped the cut wire on its side-
    [​IMG]
    Pulled both ends to gather in a circle an zip tied it shut
    [​IMG]
    Now my play pen is complete!
    But te second purpose in this is if you have ever read the article on how to introduce new chickens to your flock( https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock ) one technique is to put both chickens in new environments- thus the play pen is a new environment! I tryied it out on my new turkey an new chick an put two of my other chickens from my origonal flock in with them an no fuss!
    Thanks for reading hope it helps

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. redneck farmer

Like it?

3. redneck farmer

[​IMG]
    Added a roof for protection of hawks

4. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    That's pretty cool =) Will the chickens stay in there at night? If so, maybe you should add wire to the bottom of the pen so animal can't dig under and get them. Is there any way to stable the pen to the ground so it can't be knocked over?

5. redneck farmer

It don't stay over night it's so I can watch them play an the stay safe an confined!
    An to your second q yes I could but cement blocks, nail 2x4's, stake it, tie it to a tree.., lots of ways!!!!

6. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I did the same thing last summer with extra dog fencing, worked great.

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Oh, I gotcha! That'll be fine for your birdies, then! I bought this for my chicks to play outside in. I'll have to put wire over it, like you did, though! [​IMG]

8. redneck farmer

Cool

9. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Is that cardboard? I've seen those pictures many times before and always wonder lol.

10. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cool idea! I always had so much trouble keeping my chicks confined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by