Chicken Play Pen

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I need some ideas for a chicken play pen sorta thing. Pee Wee is being jumped on so much the feathers on her shoulder have been pulled out and was bleeding yesterday on her left shoulder. I would like to keep her in sight of the other hens but separated until she heals up. If you have any photos of something like that I'd like to see them.

Thanks
JT

I need some ideas for a chicken play pen sorta thing. Pee Wee is being jumped on so much the feathers on her shoulder have been pulled out and was bleeding yesterday on her left shoulder. I would like to keep her in sight of the other hens but separated until she heals up. If you have any photos of something like that I'd like to see them.

Thanks
JT
Wire dog crate...maybe larger than what I have here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

Or you could split off part of your coop as an isolation pen.
It'll need a top so she can't get out and no one else can get in,
but you'll need access too.

A dog x-pen. Can use a tarp or poultry netting on top. The x-pen is handy as it can be configured in different shapes or you can not extend out all panels, if it needs to be smaller.
Lots of things are found in a search except x-pen, is that a brand name? Those wire pens are exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks
JT

Wire dog crate...maybe larger than what I have here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

Or you could split off part of your coop as an isolation pen.
It'll need a top so she can't get out and no one else can get in,
but you'll need access too.
I want her to be able to scratch and enjoy her day. She is in the big chicken yard with 2 more Cinnamon Queens and 3 Rhode Island Red hens who are getting close to 5 years old. I have 3 kennels in a fenced off area that they sleep in now. For now I put her in a different yard by herself until everyone is out of the small area then I close the door and put here in there... I need to take a photo of it.

JT

A dog x-pen. Can use a tarp or poultry netting on top. The x-pen is handy as it can be configured in different shapes or you can not extend out all panels, if it needs to be smaller.
x2. I have a 4x4 wire exercise pen with a shade cloth top, and it's great for isolating birds but allow them to easily see the flock or anything going on outside.

So to update this Pee Wee and Lucy got used to being in the big yard with the 3 older Rhode Island Red hens with a little water therapy everyone was getting along.

After a month or so I started thinking about winter and knew the 3 Cinnamon Queens could not stay in the open air kennels so I made a divider for the RIR's coop that split off one roost and placed Pee Wee and Lucy in there one night. The next night Lucy went in with the RIR hens but they picked on her so I moved her over. The next night they both went in with the RIR hens and just settled down. In the mean time I started letting Betty Boop out with the rest and after a little water therapy everyone seemed to be getting along so I put Betty Boop in the isolated side of the coop. The next day I took out the divider and they have all been going in the coop at night and get along for the most part all day. A happy ending for sure.

JT

Pee Wee is pretty much all healed up with maybe one feather missing.
pee-wee.jpg
JT

Back
Top Bottom