Chicken playground equipment?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wynette, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    We had a few old branches laying around from a tree we did some major trimming on this spring. I saw an old tire by the barn yesterday, and thought together they'd make a nice addition to the playground (as we call it):

[​IMG]

Hope they hop around on it! Just had to share - anyone else have pics of playground equipment? I'd love to see what others have come up with to enhance our little feathered friends' lives!! (Oh, we did drill some holes in the bottom edge of the tire so rain water could drain out!)

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That's so clever and well built! Let us know if they do investigate it!

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    What a cool idea! I put an old step ladder out in the main run and the Banties just love it! Gotta love "cheep" entertainment!

Dawn

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Got some pics (not great ones, but you can get the idea anyway) of my girls and roo on the new piece of equipment - they like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just thought I'd throw a couple pics in!! Y'all have a great day!!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just love a good live action shot! They seem to be really enjoying it.

6. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    we cut up a fallen tree for a friend and brought it home for using this winter. I stacked it all up nicely near the coop (just by chance) and the chickens thought I brought it in and stacked it just for them! They climb all over it all the time. I'm always on the lookout for snakes though, but so far nothing. They like to stand on the stack as the sun is going down and preen.

7. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I know if I put up something new for my chickens, their first thought is "Look! Something new to poop on!" [​IMG]

Very creative idea!

1 person likes this.
  8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Lots of poop on the tire & the ground under. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I sorta feel like giving them options for things to do makes them happier. And...hopefully a happier chicken is a chicken that'll lay more eggs! [​IMG]

9. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    My "chicken ladder" and yes, lots of poop underneath, currently waiting on hubby to get home with a bale of straw for me to "cover poop hills!" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  10. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Well done, Its nice to see people give their chickens a playground, they do enjoy a change od scenery.
    My banties love stumps and otside perches made from a thick branch.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by