1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken poo + garden + sun flower seeds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Dec 24, 2012.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

so my girls have been getting black sun flower seeds now and my garden is empty due to last weeks freezing days and also its winter so my 4 chickens hang out in the garden keeping any weeds away and turning the dirt but my frind informed me there just like any other bird and that the seeds come out the same and when spring hits i am going to have sun flower growing every where thats not a prob other then in my garden. has anyone else found this to be true?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There are some seeds that can withstand a bird's digestive system, but remember that seeds make up a big part of a chicken's natural diet, along with bugs and other plant materials. Their digestive systems very acidic to help them break down and digest seeds. Chickens and some other birds also eat grit and small stones to help them break down their food. I've fed my chickens dry whole corn and barley before and believe me, there was nothing resembling a seed in their poo! Sunflower seeds are very soft compared to dry corn kernels. They'll have NO problem digesting that.

Your friend must've heard of other types of plant seeds being distributed in this manner like the mulberry who's fruit gets eaten by American robins and spread around in their droppings.

3. cary 1973

thank you. i have noticed the only thing that i have seen come out the same way was a big night crawler worm and that was nasty

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yuck! Have you dewormed your flock?

5. cary 1973

the worm was dead night crawler we feed it the day before that was about 7 to 8 inch long it come out hte next day in the poop dead but in the same form NO MY FLOCK DOSE NOT HAVE INTERNAL WORMS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by