Chicken poo on Chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ohthathen, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ohthathen

ohthathen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    I just got home from vacation go find a large reddish black spot on one of my chicken's back. My initial thought was dried blood, but upon closer investigation, theres a chunk of chicken poo closer up to her body under her feathers. So, I'm assuming she went under the roost and got pooed on.
    I live in Michigan and its about 15°f right now. I live with my parents and they aren't particularly thrilled with idea of me bringing a chicken into the house for a bath while we have company over (they'll be here for a couple more days).
    Does she need a bath ASAP or can it wait a few days untill they're gone?
    I'm not sure how long it has been on her (Ive been gone the last 4 days). I'm worried she may absorb bacteria from it through her skin. Any advice?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look at it closely to make sure that it is not blood, a sore, or a cyst. If it is, then put some plain antibiotic ointment on it. If it is dirt or poo, then leave it. Pictures may be helpful.

1 person likes this.
  3. ohthathen

Oct 13, 2016
    I'll go out later today to take a closer look and get some picturs. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. ohthathen

Oct 13, 2016
    So, took a closer look and theres nothing by the skin just a big ol' glob of something nasty in the feathers. Wasnt wasn't able to get awesome pics but I'm 99.9% sure that it's just clum of poo.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep an eye on her, maybe not get her wet since the temps are way below freezing, but there could be some raw scab there from possible pecking or feather picking. It may just be dried poo or mud, but you wouldn't want to miss an injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by