Chicken poop as fertilizer.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by holliewould, Dec 23, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Errrmm the forum has changed since I've been here last. "Everything Else Chicken" is gone? So I have a question about chicken crap. I know it can burn my plants. My grass is completely flaming as is a few others that I've piled it onto. Can I take the poop and possibly water it down in a jug and use it? Or will that burn my plants too. I just hate to waste it.

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Compost it first.

3. ltlchicken

ltlchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    yes, compost it. you need to let it sit and rest, turn it and if you have hay, mix that in. the pile will get real hot and break down. after it's broken down, you can put it on your beds.

4. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    Definitly compost it. there are so many nutrients in it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  5. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

composted chicken poop is the best fertlizer there is... If you notice in the stores they sell it for quite a bit of $$

after you compost it you can make it in toa tea and water all your plants with it...or put the humus directly into the garden...

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    compost it . if you add water you will just have watered down well you know.

7. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Ok so I have a rubbermaid tub full of dirt. I put the poo in it and turned it all around. I put the lid back on top, is that OK? or does it need air? I added some raked up stuff from my lawn too. How long before I can use it so it doesn't burn up my plants? Thanks!

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Would it be okay to spread it over an asparagus bed during the winter?

9. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    I don't know about an asparagus bed, but I do dump it straight on my garden beds in the winter. They don't have anything in them but a little garlic around the edges though. By spring planting time it's cooled off. I dump it in the compost pile over the summer.

Erika

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I work the poop into my compost. After it has cooked for awhile I put it in my gardens. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by