Chicken poop extremely watery, green, and smelly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avery2018, Jan 12, 2018.

1. avery2018

avery2018 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Coppell, Tx
    My rhode island red hen began having exceptionally watery, green poop. It smells much, much worse than usual and I can smell it from outside and away from the coop. She always goes to the bathroom in the same place, also, but now she's just pooping in the middle of the coop or wherever. She looks healthy other than this, but something is definitely wrong. Please help!!
    F.Y.I. Pictures of chicken poop ahead, for those who don't wish to ruin their appetite. :)

Attached Files:

2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster Premium Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    hmm, I am going through something like that right now as well. We have two chickens that keep having bad diarrhea but the others are fine. But they look and act very healthy and lay everyday. But they make the coop stink and one gets it stuck to her feathers. Yuck! Hopefully someone will have an idea of what is going on with them. Good luck!

avery2018 likes this.
  3. avery2018

avery2018 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Coppell, Tx
    Thank you!! It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

4. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    What are you feeding them?
    Do they have access to grit and oyster shell?

5. chix4thechikens

chix4thechikens In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2017
    Breeding, KY
    What brand of food are you giving them? Do you give them lots of human scrap food?

6. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Songster

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    little red hen WELCOME.jpg Hello avery2018, so your hen is having a bit of pooty poo trouble? :(

Can you give a bit more information, so that the members can figure out what may be going on?

How old is your chicken?
    Is your hen laying eggs?
    Do you free range your chickens?
    Is she eating normally? Drinking normally?
    What do you feed your chickens?
    When is the last time you wormed your chickens?
    How long has she been pooping watery poops?

If your hen is eating, drinking and behaving normally, there is time. So just keep an eye on her, note and report any changes. Sometimes, chickens eat things that don't agree with them. And like people they'll have a digestive upset, and abnormal poops. Then, the problem will resolve in a day or so. However, a chickens poop, is often the first sign that an illness is developing, too. So it is good that you have been observant and are seeking help. :thumbsup

God Bless :)

7. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster Premium Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    We have this one chicken that always has watery droppings. But she acts and looks fine. It just is always sticking to her feathers. But she has been like this since we got which has been about 1 year. So I have no idea what is wrong with her.

8. mariesterful

mariesterful In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2017
    Monore, Washington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by