Chicken poop in the Garden

Pics

meglynnie

Songster
Mar 25, 2019
Southwest Ohio
Good Afternoon Flock!

I am brand spanking new to chickens and gardening. Me and my hubby where able to finally buy our own hobby farm last year and brought our horses home. We have expanded to chickens and want to start a garden this year.

I've read chicken poop can be used as fertilizer is this true? What is the 'how to' with using it?

Thank you!

I don't know much about application amounts, but I do know that too much of it can "burn" the ground and nothing will grow in that area this year, but will grow like crazy the next year. Moderation is key. I can tell you that the farmers in my part of the world buy chicken litter from the local chicken farmers by the semi truck load and spread it on the fields before planting. You just have to hope that it doesn't rain and that they till it into the ground quick, because it is a unique odor. So it must work!

My neighbour Jack used some of my chicken poop for fertilizer, he planted some beans and ended up with this big bean stalk that went right up in to the clouds, I think you may have heard the story.

Seriously it is great fertilizer, I read not long ago of a guy where his neighbours were glad of it, they come round with buckets to take it away.

I compost mine longer than a year because the shavings are in with it here.

Yes add green and brown as with most all composting methods.

I think my best results were with manure composted 3 years. Likely due to all the pine shavings taking longer to decompose.

I compost mine longer than a year because the shavings are in with it here.

Yes add green and brown as with most all composting methods.

I think my best results were with manure composted 3 years. Likely due to all the pine shavings taking longer to decompose.

Where do you keep your compost? Our biggest struggle in creating a compost is stirring. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom