chicken poop issues (photo attached)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kle2684, Nov 10, 2016.

1. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    I have been posting about my Brahma for a few weeks.She was born in April of this year and is such a brut! She began losing feathers under her vent about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Then feather loss on her legs. Still eating, drinking, laying and acting fine. She has started to grow some feathers back.....slowly. I added feather fixer food in with the regular layer diet. Also have added a little scrambled egg now and then. Now, She has lost a lot of weight. Still acting great and laying. This is her poop today. It is HUGE! I put a quarter by it for size. Ideas???? [​IMG]

2. kle2684

Mar 9, 2014
    No one has any ideas!?

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    She might be thinking about going broody but just not got the full act together yet with being a pullet still. That certainly looks like a broody poop and plucking undercarriage feathers out is another broody trait. When you say she is a brut.... does she act aggressive? Are you sure that she is still laying?

4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I assumed you checked her for bugs?

5. kle2684

Mar 9, 2014
    I did! I'm a vet tech, so I took her to work and looked under the microscope and also at her skin. Although, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for...I didn't see anything moving at all.

6. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    just curious what did you look at under the microscope?
    I don't see how anyone can see mites on a chicken with all their feathers and they protest and wont hold still even at nite on the roost....
    I finally did weeks ago So dang tiny and fast. mostly I saw the few GRAY, lite gray, things on my hand. Fast as heck and so tiny tiny tiny. a that time when I had fairly clean,,,pine shavings in the coop....on the floor....I thought I was seeing things when I felt a few on my hand
    Baby Girl was laying under the roost/ poop bd doing her nesting thing,,, acting like she was laying an egg....

7. kle2684

Mar 9, 2014
    We plucked a few feathers and looked at the shafts under the scoop...mainly checking for eggs on the actual feather

8. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    just curious.. I read about lice nits on feather shafts. But do MITES show up on the feathers especially the shafts?
    One guy mentioned to ME "skin scrapings" when I talked to him about mites. He formerly worked with fowl, he said...
    thanks for explaining... My Goldie has a red bare bottom. Dont know if its from the "runs" they ar having or MITES are around again Her bottom is bare from prev FLYSTRIKE over a yea ago Her feathers never grew back in that area...
    thanks for explaining

9. kle2684

Mar 9, 2014
    I think...don't quote me...that it is just the eggs that show up on shafts

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens all poop pretty big except my sick one. The more they eat the more they poop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by