1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken poop on our walkout pavers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdraack, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jdraack

jdraack New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    An ideas as to how to kep our 4 chickens off of our pavers? My husband is getting quite disgusted by the poop! I do let them free range all over the yard everyday.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Shoes.

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Mine free range in my back yard. My grooming shop is also in my back yard up by the gate/carport. They loved poopin on the deck/porch into the shop. So, I put up an ex pen at the end of the shop, both sides all the way to the fence on both sides. Now they stay out in the yard and only one dares to jump the ex pen and come over, but doesnt stay long.

pam in TX

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

DH use to rant and rave about chicken poo on the front porch and sidewalk...he got over it soon enough. [​IMG] We do keep a hose handy, and I'll go out once a day and quickly hose things off.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Only way I can think of is to put fence on either side of your walk. Otherwise, plan on washing it off daily or penning your chickens up.

6. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    If you figure it out, let me know. Their favorite place to 'go' is on our beautiful rock front walk. I swear they hold it until they get there in the morning.

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    My chickens love to go on our stepping stones. Other than a fence I can't see any way this is possible. If it were possible we'd all be discussing our cool new chicken litter boxes! LOL

8. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    agreed...fence off the pavers.

9. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    Hi! I thought this was going to be a deal breaker for us, also. Once they were old enough to be out in the large yard, they wanted to be up by the patio/house and POOP. I was hosing like crazy. Then I got an old mop out of the garage, the big old stringy kind, and I yell Shoo Shoo and run them off all the patio, concrete and walkway. They are coming up on 16 weeks now and I bet the patio poop is down 90% !. No kidding.
    I think 2 things happened. I think they matured and are now comfortable out and away from the glass door where they can see us. they are spending alot of time in the back, under the trees where they should hang out, I think.
    And, they really don't like the mop.
    All treats and scraps are fed to them on the back part of the yard where their outdoor water bowl is. I don't make any reason for them to come to the house as we spend time with them out on the lawn and the space I want them to be.
    I have NO idea if any of this really worked. I am a newbie and just 'winging' it by my own instincts.
    Also, I have tried to catch them in the hard stream of water used to hose down so as to make it less appealing. They have found a different wind break now up by the fence and dirt, so that is good.
    I think they were young.
    Also, I am generous with the DE dusting in the coop each morning after I let them out. The flies are not noticeable and even the yellow jackets are gone. goody.
    just my experience so far, but no eggs yet either so I am really new here.
    Fluffy2

10. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Okay, I'm trying to figure out how shoes would help with poop on the pavers. And besides, how in the world do you expect to get the shoes on the chickens in the first place!?

[​IMG]

Sorry...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by