chicken poop. whats going on with it?

kmdodge2015

Chirping
Sep 13, 2020
Let's Start from the beginning, about 2 months ago my chickens had tapeworms. I wormed them, waited 10 days and did it again.
After about a week my rooster was acting weird, huge mushy crop and throwing up clearish milky slime. Treated for sour crop with monistat for 3 days.
Got extreme diahrrea, lethargy, drinking SO much. Treated with corrid (another group suggested) for 5 days, then on to Vitamins and plain yogurt to help his gut. It's been about two weeks since corrid ended. His poop has gotten better but still isn't right. He is acting mostly normal and regaining comb color.
Forgot to mention, around corrid treatment my husband fed him, possibly gave him game bird feed, high protien 30%, was fed with possibly that for about 4 days. It's been about 8 days since then. He is off of Vitamin water since I was worried he was getting too many vitamins.
He is still drinking a lot but is eating and gaining weight! During everything he got to two pounds, he was originally between 5 and 7 pounds.

And here is is current poop! If you need more pics I can get them, he has been separated in my bathroom this entire time
I do see the grit in his poop, but all of it is really grainy? What can icdo to help?
20210330_090744.jpg

Last edited:
Let's Start from the beginning, about 2 months ago my chickens had tapeworms. I wormed them, waited 10 days and did it again.
After about a week my rooster was acting weird, huge mushy crop and throwing up clearish milky slime. Treated for sour crop with monistat for 3 days.
Got extreme diahrrea, lethargy, drinking SO much. Treated with corrid (another group suggested) for 5 days, then on to Vitamins and plain yogurt to help his gut. It's been about two weeks since corrid ended. His poop has gotten better but still isn't right. He is acting mostly normal and regaining comb color.
Forgot to mention, around corrid treatment my husband fed him, possibly gave him game bird feed, high protien 30%, was fed with possibly that for about 4 days. It's been about 8 days since then. He is off of Vitamin water since I was worried he was getting too many vitamins.
He is still drinking a lot but is eating and gaining weight! During everything he got to two pounds, he was originally between 5 and 7 pounds.

And here is is current poop! If you need more pics I can get them, he has been separated in my bathroom this entire time
I do see the grit in his poop, but all of it is really grainy? What can icdo to help?
View attachment 2591783
I see some grit, & undigested bits.

That is the grit in his poop, he didn't have the bits in the poop before getting sick. Only after.
Help me out here with one little detail in that photo. Was he fed anything reddish at the time he produced that poop? Do his poops consistently have pinkish bits in it?

Attachments

• 20210330_102048.jpg
    20210330_102048.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Consuming excessive amounts of grit and fluids can point to a blockage. Since he was previously wormed, he may have had a heavy load and not all of the incapacitated worms were absorbed into his digestive system and could be sitting there blocking his intestines.

How is his crop? Does it stay pretty full all of the time? Have you checked in the morning to see how well it is emptying overnight?

If his crop is not emptying, it's additional sign of blockage. One thing that can help is to give him a molasses flush to encourage his digestive tract to empty. It's harmless and he should enjoy the molasses drink. Mix one teaspoon molasses in one-fourth cup warm water and let him drink it all down. Just put him in a crate and give it to him as his only water and no food for now.

Consuming excessive amounts of grit and fluids can point to a blockage. Since he was previously wormed, he may have had a heavy load and not all of the incapacitated worms were absorbed into his digestive system and could be sitting there blocking his intestines.

How is his crop? Does it stay pretty full all of the time? Have you checked in the morning to see how well it is emptying overnight?

If his crop is not emptying, it's additional sign of blockage. One thing that can help is to give him a molasses flush to encourage his digestive tract to empty. It's harmless and he should enjoy the molasses drink. Mix one teaspoon molasses in one-fourth cup warm water and let him drink it all down. Just put him in a crate and give it to him as his only water and no food for now.
His crop has been emptying, I have been checking since the spur crop issue. Should I do the molasses daily? I'll take his food away and give the molasses water now.
Thank you!

Does he have access to grit? If so, is it the same size as what you picked out of his poop?

Grit does get ground smaller with time, and eventually comes out in the poop when it's small enough.

I'm wondering if he's eating too much grit (because it's coming out in his poop), or if it is too small to be useful in his gizzard (because it's coming out in his poop.) Or this might just be a symptom of whatever else is wrong with him.

Back
Top Bottom