Chicken poop- worms or injury???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by featheredfive, Nov 15, 2016.

1. featheredfive

featheredfive New Egg

Jan 2, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

My flock had a neighborhood dog attack and i have a chicken with significant injury. An 8 inch gash that's almost an inch deep. I am treating her and so she is in the house. Last night she had this poop. What is it??? Haven't noticed anything like this before and I'm wanting to know if it's worms or a sign of her insides or injury?? Insight would be great. She was injured Thursday afternoon and this pic was taken yesterday. TIA!!

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It looks like shed intestinal lining but I have never seen that amount passed in one go so it would certainly concern me. Some people consider that shedding of intestinal lining is caused by a worm burden. I don't think the two are exclusively linked and I would also take into consideration the general condition of the bird before assuming that worms were the problem.
    That said, this hen has obviously had a very serious trauma and maybe that could have trigged the shedding in this case. It might be worth sending a faecal sample off to check for internal parasites rather than pump chemicals into her system right now that may not be necessary. Some labs will do next day results. Most vets should offer the service too but sending direct to a lab may well be cheaper.

It is at least a good sign that she is pooping after such an ordeal. How is she looking apart from the injury? Is she eating and drinking ok?

3. featheredfive

featheredfive New Egg

Jan 2, 2016
    Missouri
    Honestly she is doing really well. Eating drinking and walking around! I'm worried about infection starting, and frankly don't know how she's still moving. We didn't know she had the injury until Sunday! We lost a few other birds and weren't focusing on her because she was acting fine and the gash was hid behind feathers. Once we found it, it had already began the healing process but we've been cleaning it and treating it best we can. Trying our best to save her and I have antibiotics ready, but don't want to start them yet. :/ I will wait to treat IF it was worms but I'd like to know for my flocks sake and planning. If it's from the injury I don't think there's anything I could do, just knowing would be nice.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In my flock that is not normal, and I would suspect worms and/or coccidiosis.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by