1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkells, Mar 4, 2009.

1. bkells

bkells New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    Hi,
    One of my three chickens seems to have lots of poop caked into her behind. It doesn't seem to be causing any sickness and egg laying seems to be normal. Is it just a matter of cleaning her off with the hose and continued observation of her own personal hygiene, or could this be a symptom of something more grave?

regards,
    Brian.

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Some fluffy breeds have problems with that. You could cut the feathers to avoid it or you could leave it if it's not too bad. Some birds just... miss the ground. lol.

3. bkells

bkells New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    This particular one is a buff orpington who, yes is pretty fluffy underneath.

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Sounds like she just got lazy pooping and missed. [​IMG] Watch her though, if she loses any weight or acts funny it could be something much worse.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    just make sure her vent never become blocked by the poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by