Chicken poop

BethEA2799

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2020
What would you think if you saw a poop like this? Is this mucus like feces with bubbles coccidiosis, or sour crop with gas? Chicken is on CORID but I’m worried about my chicken who had a squishy crop, and is sleeping (sitting down). Anyone have any ideas on how to treat.

Attachments

• C72B673D-A016-4E08-B747-5E82E845FFCF.jpeg
    C72B673D-A016-4E08-B747-5E82E845FFCF.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 12
  • F088A655-D790-4887-A319-B7DE5057CC27.jpeg
    F088A655-D790-4887-A319-B7DE5057CC27.jpeg
    762.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 60980A4F-4C30-4833-B799-40A108D6309F.jpeg
    60980A4F-4C30-4833-B799-40A108D6309F.jpeg
    674.7 KB · Views: 7
What would you think if you saw a poop like this? Is this mucus like feces with bubbles coccidiosis, or sour crop with gas? Chicken is on CORID but I’m worried about my chicken who had a squishy crop, and is sleeping (sitting down). Anyone have any ideas on how to treat.
Welcome To BYC

Is she laying eggs, what are they like?

Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. A crop that is squishy and not emptying overnight, I would begin treating that (see the article link below). The poop looks like it may have egg yolk in it as well(?)
What dose of Corid are you using? I would finish the course of Corid it shouldn't hurt anything. She may be having some reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens. These conditions can also cause some crop problems.
If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as an underlying condition as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC

Is she laying eggs, what are they like?

Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. A crop that is squishy and not emptying overnight, I would begin treating that (see the article link below). The poop looks like it may have egg yolk in it as well(?)
What dose of Corid are you using? I would finish the course of Corid it shouldn't hurt anything. She may be having some reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens. These conditions can also cause some crop problems.
If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as an underlying condition as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for responding! She use to lay an egg everyday the last two days they have been shell less. Her vent is smooth. Her crop does feel squishy and she actually just started sneezing and wiping her beak. No fluid coming out though. Her most recent poop looked like this it’s green now I’ve been tracking her poop progress. Would any vet take poop samples to run these tests? I’m using liquid CORID today will be the third day. We administers orally using a water mixture of 1ml of CORID To a half a quart of water. We tried doing the direct method of .2ml but someone said for a pullet it may be too strong for her.

Correct dose of corid liquid in the water is 2 tsp or 9.5ml per gallon. Corid is very safe and it's very unlikely you could overdose her. You can give the oral dose in addition to the water mixture for up to 3 days.
Since she has laid 2 soft shelled eggs in the last two days it sounds like that may be the issue. I would give her a calcium citrate + D capsule, once a day for 1-2 days. That will help with contractions to help her expel anything and help if she's low on calcium.
Some vets will do a fecal on chickens, some won't, it's the same test for all species. I would call your vet and ask, or call around and see if you can find one that will. If they will do it, they can also do a gram stain for bacteria. If she had an egg break inside her then you may need to start her on an antibiotic for infection.

Correct dose of corid liquid in the water is 2 tsp or 9.5ml per gallon. Corid is very safe and it's very unlikely you could overdose her. You can give the oral dose in addition to the water mixture for up to 3 days.
Since she has laid 2 soft shelled eggs in the last two days it sounds like that may be the issue. I would give her a calcium citrate + D capsule, once a day for 1-2 days. That will help with contractions to help her expel anything and help if she's low on calcium.
Some vets will do a fecal on chickens, some won't, it's the same test for all species. I would call your vet and ask, or call around and see if you can find one that will. If they will do it, they can also do a gram stain for bacteria. If she had an egg break inside her then you may need to start her on an antibiotic for infection.
Thank you, I’ve heard giving other nutrients while on CORID is bad. Should I wait until i stop The CORID to start calcium citrate+ D. Also is it 3 or 5 day Treatment for CORID I’ve seen some people do it for 10 days. I was Going to do it for 5. Also is there a specific calcium citrate + D brand you recommend for chickens?

The calcium will not affect the Corid. Thiamine is what you want to avoid supplementing while treating with Corid. Adding a thiamine supplement can reduce the effectiveness of the Corid.
I use Citrical, it comes in a tablet called 'petites' which is a little smaller and easier to get down. But it doesn't really matter, you can use any brand that is calcium citrate, and the D helps with absorption.
Normal treatment with Corid is 5-7 days. If they are slow to recover I do the 7 days, and some will treat for a second 5-7 days with a lower dose of 1/2 tsp per gallon of water for the second week. I always base it on how sick they were and how well they respond. Often 5 days is adequate. Some strains are more virulent than others, so I judge based on how they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom