1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Do I look like a chicken, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Do I look like a chicken

Do I look like a chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Western Oregon, U.S.A.
    Now if that subject line is not an attention grabber, I don't know what is. LOL!

But seriously, I was recently told that chickens gain some benefit from eating their own poop. Apparently they gain vitamin B-12 or something from this. Is this really true. I am not finding anything in my chicken literature on it. I was told not to do a thorough job when it comes to cleaning out the coop and to leave some of the skat just laying around as they will eat it when they need it.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard of this.

Thanks as always.
    Mike

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    That sounds like a bunch of SKAT to me, but sillier sounding stuff has been true.

3. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think that was a myth about dogs returning to their vomit....but hey, it's all good from both ends , huh?

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Ok think about it for a second. How can food that has been digested and the nutrients used have more than it started with?

5. Do I look like a chicken

Aug 15, 2007
    Western Oregon, U.S.A.
    Quote:Okay, I don't think that it actually has more of anything, perhaps it, (what ever it is), is just made more accessible after having gone through the digestiive tract. And that is very possible, which is why I didn't just immediately write it off as a myth.

6. Do I look like a chicken

Aug 15, 2007
    Western Oregon, U.S.A.
    I am still researching this and if I find anything definitive, I will share it here and quote the source.

Thank you,
    Mike

7. mrspie

mrspie New Egg

Jan 28, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    There are some animals that require coprophagia. Rabbits, for example, have to "send it through twice" in order to be able to digest everything in their food. But I very much doubt chickens do.

8. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I knew one of my critters had to eat their poo. I just forgot which one. Mrspie, thanks for reminding me that it is the bunny.
    The dog just loves eating everyone else's, because it tastes good, I guess. We should have called her "hoover".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by