chicken poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenmom1, Jul 12, 2010.

1. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    What do you all do with the dirty bedding and straw from the bottom of the coop? Can it be composted?
    j

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yup. It makes excellent compost with all of your other garden/kitchen waste.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Absolutely you certainly don't want to waste such a valuable commodity, makes the best garden compost.

AL

4. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I use the soiled bedding as mulch for my flower beds. I call it mulch with benefits.

5. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    It's not too dry for compost. I clean the coop out every day.
    j

6. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    Quote:When you take it out of the coop it's dry but if you are going to compost it in the traditional way, dampen it with a garden hose like you would any other compost. If you are putting it directly on beds, just soak it for a few min. That will activate the bacteria etc. It makes excellent compost, high in nitrogen. Good luck.

David

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It does make great compost....BUT, it will continue to attract flies. We chose not to use it as compost because of the fly problem. Now we put it in these HUGE brown paper bags and take it to the landfill a few miles away.

8. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    What do you recommend doing with it if you don't compost it? I was thinking a large garbage can with a locking lid, just for the chicken poo/bedding. Our garbage is only picked up once a week though. Will it get really stinky and attract a lot of bugs before pick-up day?

9. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    B'villechicken :

Quote:When you take it out of the coop it's dry but if you are going to compost it in the traditional way, dampen it with a garden hose like you would any other compost. If you are putting it directly on beds, just soak it for a few min. That will activate the bacteria etc. It makes excellent compost, high in nitrogen. Good luck.

David

this is golden dirty used on garden n flowers.
    laura​

10. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:It should be okay, just make sure to set it out each week to be picked up... I would also use a trash liner. Depending on how much poo/bedding you clean up each time you could then also put that in its own bag or bags (keeping the smell sealed in the individual bags)... tie it up and then put it into your lined locking lid garbage can. To keep the flies away.. hopefully that made sense hehe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by