chicken poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thirdwife1992, Jun 5, 2011.

1. thirdwife1992

thirdwife1992 New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    I have a white leghorn hen who has a very dirty bottom from pooping- to the point that most of her feathers back there are clumped together. Should I try to clean it so the feathers don't get pulled out by the weight of it all? Also, is she supposed to be bare under her tail feathers? We just had to get rid of our rooster because he would not leave her alone, so I want to make sure that the bareness is normal. Any help is appreciated!

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    when our chicken had a poopy butt we put her in a little tub and washed her butt off. I don't really know about the bareness, but the chicken will feel better after getting washed up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    I have the same issue with my Cochin. She has so many feathers back there they are always poopy. I feel like If I give her a bath, she'll just poop on herself five minutes later. I'm seriously thinking of trimming those feathers that are in the line of fire. She's so pretty- from the front.

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I've had a couple who had poopy butts and I do wash them off then trim the feathers shorter periodically.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had some poopy butt too. I have ashed their bottoms and have trimmed the feathers. The feathers grew back nicely and I couldn't tell who I had clipped.

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I bathed one of mine to get the poo off and trimmed her butt feathers.....gettin' about time to do it again [​IMG]

7. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    After they are cleaned and dried, I make a close trim of their fannies with scissors to keep that from happening again.

8. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    My BO ALWAYS has a poopy bum. Every two weeks she gets a dip in the utility sink, then a private kiddie pool rest under the heat light to dry out. She will be my last BO for this reason, but I must admit, she loves the attention/treatment.

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I think the poopy part is sufficiently answered. As for the lost feathers. Is she broody. I have heard that some hens will lose their underneath feathers when they go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by