1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Poop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ReykjaTavi, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ReykjaTavi

ReykjaTavi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    I know this is a less than savory topic...

We introduced 3 buff orps to our flock last week. The chickens before had well...solid/semi-solid droppings. Now in the pen it looks like one or more chickens has diarrhea. It's diarrhea-colored and the consistancy of broccoli cheese soup. I'd hate to put all the blame on the Orps, but since they are the newest...

Can chickens get diarrhea? Does this mean they are sick, still adjusting to the new environment, or maybe because they'd rather eat plants than chicken feed? (One half of the pen has significant plant growth. I call it Little Vietnam and leave it so they have shade and snacks)

Thanks,

Amber

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Did you quarantine your new birds before introducing them to your flock? If not, they may have transmitted something nasty; i.e., cocci.

3. ReykjaTavi

ReykjaTavi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    They were quarantined for 3 days, everything was normal then. They also roost seperately.

I forgot to add that both were vaccinated for Mareks and I think Newcastle.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I think birds are usually quarantined for a couple of weeks. Maybe you should take in a fecal sample and have it tested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by