Chicken Poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jdoane, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So I'm using sand in my coop which makes scooping out the poop a piece of cake! I would love to compost it but am a little confused on how that would work given not using shavings or straw. Currently I am scooping into a 5 gallon bucket with lid. It's pretty much straight poop and a little sand. Should I add some shavings? Or should I just dump it into my regular rolling composter?

2. chickcrazychick

chickcrazychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    North Central Oklahoma
    I'm sorry can't answer your comost question..but I do have a sand questio for ya :) I've been wanting to use sand inside my coop for easy clean-up, I currently use wood shavings. I noticed the chickens sweep the shavings away for good footing to fly up on their roost. So would sand still allow them to be able to fly up easily?? (I have a cement floor inside the coop)

3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I think so. I haven't noticed them clearing it away at all to get a good jump. I have only had them out in the coop for one week but I love the sand and they seem to also. It seems so much easier to clean than their brooder of wood chips was! :ya

4. chickcrazychick

chickcrazychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    North Central Oklahoma
    It definitely sounds easier! I'm excited to give it a try! Using the shavings is such a huge waste, scooping poo outta sand seems much more efficient ;)..thank you for the feedback!

5. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    Compost it straight - you don't need the shavings :) Do you add other things in your compost at all (kitchen waste, dead leaves, etc)?

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Yes I put other stuff in the composter. In that kind of mix how long will it need to compost do you think?

7. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    Mine doesn't take long at all, straight chicken poo heats the pile fast! That said, it depends on the individual pile. I tend to keep adding stuff and and it will take about 2-3 months from when I decide to start a new pile and stop adding to the old.

8. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    I have a question about chicken poo.

I've noticed what looks like bloody poops from time to time in the coop. My chickens are 4 months old. Is this something to be concerned about? They seem to be happy and eating well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This might help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by