chicken pooping with egg yolk in it

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Caitlin342, May 15, 2011.

1. Caitlin342

Caitlin342 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi I have a bantam silkie that has not laid in months. there is another silkie that is same age and has gone broody twice and started laying again in the time that this chicken has not laid. A few months ago she got sick and I assumed she was egg bound so I did the hot water baths and got her to pass two soft shriveled up eggs. after that she acted fine but never started laying again. It has been at least four months with no eggs and she started acting sick again yesterday. I did the hot water baths and hair dryer on her and gave her yogurt and when she went to the bathroom it looked like there was egg yolk in her stool. She sleeps on a box and the box looks like it has egg white in her poop. I don't know that this means she seems to be acting okay but definitely not 100% normal (ie: she does not run up when I bring treats to everyone). I don't know if this means that she is an internal layer or what but I just need to know what to do, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
  3. Caitlin342

Apr 4, 2011
    Does anyone know how long the internal laying goes on before they die? I had a feeling something was wrong with her... she has done it about three times now where she acts very sick, almost egg bound then I give her hot bath and lots of calcium and she seems to be back to normal the next day yet never passing an egg.

4. Caitlin342

Apr 4, 2011
    hi I just wanted to post this again to see if i could get a reply. Does anyone know how long chickens live if they are internal layers? i felt the other bantam silkie and her abdomen feels completely different than the one i am suspecting of internal laying. She is still acting fine, but no eggs laid and still the episodes where she gets all ruffled and passes some weird stuff that looks like the insides of eggs:(

5. lizzie201296

lizzie201296 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Hi Caitlin. Sorry to see nobody replied to you - but I saw this post, and my hen seems to be an internal layer, although she is acting fine and everything, just has this big red swollen ball (or egg) shaped bulge below her vent, and hasn't laid for months. We were told it's probably internal laying, but she is still acting as normal. Was wondering how long your bantam went on for, or even if she's still with you? Hope she is [​IMG]
    L

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by