Chicken Poos??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by love_stuz, Nov 14, 2011.

1. love_stuz

love_stuz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    In the mornings when i check the nesting boxes, there is always runny poo??
    Is that normal? i know it sounds gross :s

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Are your chickens sleeping in the nesting boxes?

3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I know it's bad for parrots...

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Well, that depends on the species. I know runny droppings are the only kind of droppings our lineolated parrots produce!

6. love_stuz

love_stuz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Yes my hens are in there nesting box.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Sleeping in boxes designed to stay clean, for clean eggs, is NOT what you want. You want the chickens to sleep on roosts. While sleeping, a chicken passes an enormous amount of poop. The chickens's natural instinct to to roost higher than where it lays its eggs. The nesting boxes work best if virtually on the ground level. The roosts work best if the chickens can step up to one roost, say as high as you knee, then step up to another bar just that much higher again. Some people have roosts that ladder up two and three roosting bars. The chickens gain confidence and work their way up. Eventually, the courageous and dominant chickens roost on the very highest bar. Pecking order determines how high up each bird gets to roost.

If hens are sleeping in the nesting boxes, it is a mess. Eggs get smeared with poop and this is not desirable. They are sleeping in the nest boxes because they feel more secure. The wouldn't feel secure if those boxes were on the floor. They'll learn to go up on the roosts. The roosting bars need to be nice and wide, 8cm-10cm or 4 inches wide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by